The Dean's Office in the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine is currently seeking a Full-time Temporary Relief Dean's Office for approximately 6 months.
The position provides proficient administrative support and advice to faculty members within UCVM whose permanent offices are located at the Spyhill campus. This includes: day-to-day organization of faculty members¿ calendars; drafting, typing, editing and proof-reading general correspondence, administrative and teaching material, manuscripts and other documents; supporting grant applications; annual reports and related documents; travel arrangements; procurement of office and educational supplies and services; submission of travel and other expense claims.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Planning and organizing faculty members' schedules as related to their administrative, teaching and research responsibilities
- Efficiently arranging meetings or seminar logistics, scheduling appointments, meetings, seminars, conferences and teaching which may require room bookings, catering, preparation of documents, minute-taking and distribution
- Completing travel arrangements for faculty and visiting lecturers, as well as assisting with conference coordination including: arrangements for transportation and accommodation; preparation of itineraries; applications for funding and submission of expense claims; liaising with travel agency/hotel/airline
- Processing PeopleSoft transactions on behalf of faculty members, including travel and other expense claims, procurements (including reconciliation of purchasing card transactions) and non-employee expense/honorarium claims
- Preparing and posting learning materials and resources to the University's curriculum management system (D2L) and reviewing materials periodically for accuracy as requested by faculty members
- Preparation and editing of exams
- Screening and responding to telephone, email and in-person inquiries from internal and external stakeholders in a professional manner, taking any necessary and appropriate action
- Preparing and receiving courier packages, collecting and distributing mail, taking necessary action to respond to correspondence when appropriate
- Procurement of stationery supplies
- Maintaining up-to-date filing system
- Assisting with communications at the Clinical Skills Building, including posting notices, circulating information as required and being aware of important faculty activities occurring at the Spyhill and Foothills campuses
- Providing support to the faculty's academic pathologists for entry of reports into VADDS
- Coordinating onboarding activities of new academics, as needed
Qualifications / Requirements:
- 3 - 5 years of administrative experience with emphasis on administrative and organizational skills
- Post-secondary education in the area of administrative support or other related field is strongly desired
- Previous experience in an academic environment is preferred
- Previous experience with PeopleSoft expense and e-procurement modules is desirable
- Proven ability to work independently as well as managing conflicting priorities and demands
- Willingness and ability to acquire a knowledge and understanding of University and Faculty policies, procedures, and systems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), internet skills
- Web maintenance experience or the desire to learn is an asset
- High degree of organization with ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to conduct business professionally and work in an environment dealing with various confidential matters
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
Application Deadline: February 23, 2017
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Operational/Administrative Job Family, Phase II.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to become one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. Ranked as the top young university in Canada and North America, the University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary believes that a respectful workplace, equal opportunity and building a diverse workforce contribute to the richness of the environment for teaching, learning and research, and provide faculty, staff, students and the public with a university that reflects the society it serves. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.