Hotel Alma at the University of Calgary is currently seeking six (6) Recurring Part-time Guest Attendants for approximately 4 months.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Housekeeping, the Guest Attendant provides superior guest service and ensures the cleanliness of all aspects of International House. The incumbent will work closely with the Housekeeping Supervisor. This position requires flexibility and will be required to perform numerous roles and work a variety of shifts, including weekdays, evenings and weekends.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Relay messages and respond appropriately to guest inquiries in person, over radio and through written notes
- Perform full range of cleaning duties for roles including guest rooms, laundry handling, house areas, public spaces and student spaces
- Identify maintenance requirements and submit maintenance request slips as required
- Collect and report any lost and found items, following standard operating procedure
- Participate in pre-shift briefings and staff meetings
- Perform deep cleaning tasks within assigned areas
- Maintain efficient and effective use of cleaning tools and resources
- Actively participate in all departmental recycling initiatives
- Clean guest rooms, including departure rooms, linen change and basic room service
- Make beds, replace linen, dust, vacuum, reset furniture placement
- Clean bathroom inside guest room, including disinfecting all surfaces, sinks, taps, bathtub/shower, walls, tiles, floors and toilets
- Replace room amenities, based on room type
- Empty and clean garbage cans and recycling bins; sort items into the appropriate location
- Complete maintenance request slips for any deficiencies identified in assigned rooms
- Attend to guests requests for extra supplies or other items
- Handle and report lost and found items
- Ensure proper room temperature control
- Restock housekeeping cart with amenities, cleaning products and linen at end of shift
- Provide turn down and evening room service
- Clean all hallways and stairwells including light fixtures, baseboards, floors, door frames
- Polish and wax floors in house areas, and operate carpet cleaner
- Clean public washrooms, stocking with supplies and monitoring throughout shift
- Collect, sort, and deliver dirty and clean linens
- Proper storage and handling of laundry bins
Qualifications / Requirements:
- High school graduation diploma or equivalent work experience
- Must be able to read, write and follow oral and written instructions in English
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written
- Previous hotel or housekeeping experience an asset
- Basic mathematics knowledge is necessary
- Exercise good judgment and discernment
- Understand and experience with cleaning products and machinery
- Able to handle stress in a fast-paced work environment
- Able to prioritize multiple tasks, have a sense of urgency to complete projects and be detail oriented
- Able to work without direct supervision
- Flexible to work weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays
- Able to lift, pull, push, grasp and bend while lifting up to 50 lbs
Application Deadline: March 27, 2017
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the General Job Family, Phase II.
To find out more about our competitive salaries and benefits, and why we are a great place to work and learn, please visit the Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is a leading Canadian university located in the nation's most enterprising city. The university has a clear strategic direction to become one of Canada's top five research universities by 2016, where research and innovative teaching go hand in hand, and where we fully engage the communities we both serve and lead. This strategy is called Eyes High, inspired by the university's Gaelic motto, which translates as 'I will lift up my eyes'. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary believes that a respectful workplace, equal opportunity and building a diverse workforce contribute to the richness of the environment for teaching, learning and research, and provide faculty, staff, students and the public with a university that reflects the society it serves. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.